Work in Canada as a Visitor: Converting Tourist Visa to Work Permit

What if you find yourself wanting more than just a temporary visit? Fortunately, Canada offers a pathway for visitors to convert their tourist visas into work permits, allowing them to stay longer and contribute to the Canadian workforce.

In this article, we will explore the process of converting a tourist visa into a work permit in Canada.

Table of Contents

Visitor Visa vs Work Permit: What’s the Difference?

If you’re coming to Canada, you need to know about two important things: Visitor Visas and Work Permits. They’re like special permission slips that let you do different things while you’re in Canada.

What is the Eligibility for a Work Permit?

To convert your visitor visa to a work permit, certain eligibility criteria must be met:

Visitor Status

You must be in Canada with valid visitor status when you apply for a work permit. Ensure your visitor visa has not expired, or you have maintained legal visitor status during your stay.

Job Offer

You need a job offer from a Canadian employer to apply for a work permit. The employer may need to obtain a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) in some cases, depending on the type of work.

Meet Health and Security Requirements

Applicants may need to undergo a medical examination and provide police clearance certificates, depending on their home country.

No Criminal Record

You must not have any criminal convictions or pose a security risk.

Intend to Leave

You must convince the immigration authorities that you plan to leave Canada once your work permit expires.

Two women discussing work permit eligibility requirements in Canada, one pointing to documents on a table.
Specific eligibility conditions must be fulfilled to get a work permit.

The Conversion Process: Step-By-Step Guide

Once you’ve made sure you meet the requirements, you can begin the process of turning your tourist visa into a work permit in Canada. Here’s a simple, step-by-step guide to help you through the process:

The first step is to find a job in Canada. You need to get a job offer from a Canadian employer who is willing to hire you and support your application for a work permit. They should want you to work for them.

Some jobs require something called an LMIA, which stands for Labor Market Impact Assessment. Your employer needs to apply for this if your job needs it. The LMIA checks if hiring you will affect Canadian workers. If your job doesn’t need an LMIA, you can skip this step.

You’ll need to fill out a form to apply for your work permit. This form asks for information about you, your job, and your employer. You’ll also need to collect important documents like your job offer letter and any other papers they ask for.

After filling out the form and gathering your documents, you can send in your application. You can do this online or at a place called a Visa Application Center (VAC). You’ll also have to pay some money for the processing of your application.

Depending on where you come from and the kind of work you’ll do, you might need to give your fingerprints and have a medical checkup. This makes sure you’re healthy and safe to work in Canada.

After sending in your application, you’ll need to wait. The time it takes to process your application can vary, so be patient. Canadian officials will look at your application carefully.

If your work permit is approved, you’ll get a special letter called a Port of Entry (POE) Letter of Introduction. This letter lets you enter Canada as a worker.

When you come to Canada, you’ll need to show your POE Letter and the approval for your work permit at the border. The people at the border, from the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), might ask you some questions.

Once you’re in Canada and everything is in order, you can start working for your Canadian employer. Make sure to follow the rules and conditions mentioned in your work permit.

Remember, this process can seem a bit complex, but it’s all about making sure you’re eligible and following the steps carefully. It’s your pathway to working and living in Canada legally. You have the option to skip most of the process and let us help you process your application on your behalf!